Got that burning/itching won’t go away feeling between your legs? Before you reach for toxic and messy Monostat or that poisonous devil Diflucan, trust that the answer to your problems is in nature!
A yeast infection is your body’s way of telling you that more than your vagina is sad–your body is out of balance! Throughout our body exists a delicate and intricate network of micro-organisms that control quite a few things about us. They help maintain homeostasis across multiple bodily systems. When our microbiome is out of whack, it can result in a multitude of symptoms. A yeast infection or candidiasis is just one of these.
Maintaining balance involves lifestyle changes, but they can influence you greatly–from having chronic yeast infections to never having one again!
Some health issues contribute to your chances of getting “the itch.”
- Compromised immune system: If you have a chronic illness or are run down, you’re at more risk of a compromised microbiome.
- Birth control pills: Birth control pills can affect the microbiome because synthetic hormones raise “fake estrogen” levels in the body, contributing to a lack of balance in your body.
- Antibiotics: A round of antibiotics will kill both the bad guys and good guys in your system. The good bacteria eat yeast like pac-men, so when you annihilate your allies, you’re prone to invasion.
- Diet: Processed foods, alcohol, a diet high in sugars and simple carbohydrates as well as fruits and vegetables heavy in pesticides all promote candida overgrowth.
Of course, it goes without saying–because we have heard it over and over again–avoid sitting in a wet bathing suit for eternity, keep your jeans loose (no candida-creating camel toe), and if you’re prone to chronic yeast infections, avoid extremely hot bath sessions, particularly with chemical-laden toxic bubbles. (Choose an Epsom or Himalayan salt bath with essential oils, such as tea tree or eucalyptus instead)
So, here are some natural ways to combat a yeast infection or chronic yeast infection issue:
- Take a probiotic daily: Get in the habit of taking a high quality probiotic daily. I prefer women’s formulas that contain specific strains of bacteria that help promote a healthy vaginal microbiome. If one probiotic doesn’t work for you, try a different brand. Our bodies are all comprised of different chemistry–what works for me, might not work for you! A daily high dose, high quality probiotic is crucial to combatting candida.
2. Only eat organic: Because of the association between pesticides and candida overgrowth, buy only organic fruits and vegetables. Wash them well prior to eating. Stick with low glycemic fruits if you are prone to years infections. Eat plenty of green, leafy vegetables and high alkaline vegetables that will help restore your systemic flora and flush toxins from your system.
3. Baking soda: Put a teaspoon full of baking soda in unfluorinated water and drink it daily. This transforms your system into an alkaline environment—and candida can’t survive in alkaline! For symptom relieve, you can create a paste with baking soda and coconut oil or just baking soda and a little water and apply to affected area. (Take that, Monostat!)
4. Boric Acid: Although this sounds like some sort of torture technique–applying acid to the vagina–it’s actually not a true acid as you might be imagining and it won’t harm you! You can purchase boric acid suppositories online or just buy the powder and apply with your finger if you’re not too skeeved out. Boric acid destroys candida–but it won’t destroy your vagina. And it works–fast!
5. Oil of Oregano Capsules: Oi of oregano is nature’s anti fungal, anti viral, and antibiotic. Take 1500 mg twice daily (orally, with food) to help kill the candida and restore microbiome balance.
6. Garlic: Consume at least a clove a day of garlic. A garlic clove can also be inserted into the vagina to kill candida at the source. Here’s the deets on this trick, albeit graphic: Tie a piece of dental floss around a large garlic clove and insert into the vagina at bedtime. Remove in the morning. The garlic should destroy the infection.
7. Rest: A go, go, go lifestyle can wear down the immune system, making you susceptible to imbalance and infection. Take time to rest and reduce stress. Get outside and connect with nature, which has a way of increasing our spirits and promoting wellness. Sun naturally increases vitamin D levels, which, in turn, stimulates our immune system to function properly.
8. Avoid anti-bacterial soap: Switch to a natural soap with all natural ingredients. Anti-bacterial soaps kill both good and bad bacteria, and remember, you need the good army to kill the candida.
9. Stay natural down there: Do not douche, use perfume, chemical lotions, chemical lubricants, or any other toxic substances on or near your vagina. Switch from Monsanto/glyphosate laden tampons to all natural tampons (they exist). Remember that anything you put down there is circulating through your entire system. Have a mindful vagina!
10. Coconut Oil: Coconut oil naturally contains properties that are anti-fungal and kill candida. You can create a paste with coconut oil and tea tree essential oil (just a little goes a very long way!) and apply directly to the vagina. Tea tree is a potent anti-fungal that will destroy candida.
The toxic alternatives aren’t worth it. Research over the counter remedies for yeast infections as well as the liver-destroying effects of oral Diflucan, and you will likely be revisiting this list. Nature always, always, always, knows best. Trust her!